The goal for this project is to add UV measurements to the colorimeter, specifically 260 nm and 280 nm.
Immediate uses for these measurements are:
- DNA quantification - absorbance at 260 nm, 260/280nm ratio
- Determining beer bitterness (IBU) - absorbance at 280 nm (275 nm led not available). See attached Method Beer-23
Progress so far
- Purchased several surface mount UV leds from Zhuhai Tianhui Electronics Co (see attached datasheets). We have the 265, 280 and 310 nm versions.
- Purchased Quartz cuvette for testing.
- Designed an LED board (Colorimeter LED Board ver D) which is used for mounting the UV LEDs. This board is listed under our hardware page on the main website here: http://www.iorodeo.com/content/colorimeter-led-board-version-d
- Purchased a couple of Sparkfun UV sensor breakout boards for testing 280 and 310 nm leds: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12705
- Mounted the leds onto the LED board ver D
- Initial testing of the 310nm and 280 nm leds were carried out. However. we did not detect any signal from the leds using the Sparkfun sensor. Suspect that was a problem due to soldering the leds onto the board. LEDs are very fragile.
- Test out the 280 and 310 nm UV LEDs using the Sparkfun UV sensor breakout board prior to soldering onto boards to check the LEDs are working.
- Once LEDs are checked and working, design a suitable sensor board that will work in the 260 nm range.